While standard LASIK has been a popular and effective means of vision correction, it does not correct for individual flaws and irregularities. The Bausch & Lomb Zyoptix system has the capability to provide customized laser treatment that is unique to each eye. Dr. Parent has been performing custom LASIK with the Bausch & Lomb Zyoptix laser since March of 2004.
Custom (wavefront) LASIK
With the Zyoptix system, Dr. Parent receives data from a unique integrated diagnostic system. One set of data thoroughly evaluates the structure of your cornea to make sure you are a suitable candidate. The second measures your eye’s anatomy for unique optical characteristics using advanced wavefront technology. Simply explained, the Bausch & Lomb Zyoptix system maps up to 9,600 data points- giving Dr. Parent a precise, three-dimensional picture of your eye’s shape and characteristics.
Bausch & Lomb Zyoptix System had been utilized outside the United States starting in 2002, with more than 100,000 procedures in Europe and other parts of the world. Two years later, the Bausch & Lomb Zyoptix System was introduced in the United States. Forty percent of these patients reported improved vision for night driving and 0% of patients were dissatisfied with their results. The technology allows us to treat more than 90% of people who need vision correction for nearsightedness and astigmatism.
Results from a multicenter clinical trial within the United States for the Zyoptix system were submitted to the FDA and showed impressive patient outcomes, which include:
- 99.7% of patients said their quality of vision was improved
- 84.7% of patients expressed extreme improvement
- 91.5% of patients had 20/20 or better visual acuity without glasses after the Zyoptix system treatment
- 98.8% of patients were satisfied or satisfied with their results
- 0% of patients were dissatisfied with their results
- 98.2% of patients said they would have the procedure again
The U.S. clinical trial showed that six months after surgery, the vast majority of patients treated with the Zyoptix system achieved or reported the following:
- Extreme improvement in quality of vision
- Vision better than 20/20 without glasses
- Vision without glasses after surgery as good as, or even better than, with glasses before surgery
- No increase in glare, halos or night driving difficulty.
- High satisfaction with their results